Are you a fan of chocolate ice-cream? Then you’ll love this homemade chocolate salted caramel ice-cream recipe! It’s super easy to make and requires less than fifteen minutes and no machine needed.
Ever since I discovered how to make homemade ice-cream, I’ve been experimenting with different flavours. I can’t believe it took me so long to discover this; all I can think of is the many ice-cream flavours I could have made at home and enjoyed over the years! Anyway, better late than never, as the saying goes.
As a lifelong fan of chocolate, it was inevitable that I would try making some form of chocolate ice-cream. However, since I like to experiment with food, I decided I wanted chocolate ice-cream with a twist. So, I decided to make chocolate salted caramel ice-cream. This was a challenge since I’d never made salted caramel before, but I felt up to the challenge. I looked far and wide until I finally found this recipe. FYI, I don’t know the blogger and had never seen her site before until I found this recipe. The reason I’m linking to it is because it worked for me! I used a lot less butter, however, approximately half of the amount in the recipe. It worked just fine.
- One cup of heavy whipping cream.
- 50 grams of dark, semi-sweet chocolate (a good generic one is fine as long as it’s good enough to eat on its own).
- One third of a cup of icing or powdered sugar.
- Half a cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
For the salted caramel:
- One cup of granulated white sugar
- Three tablespoons unsalted butter
- Half a cup of heavy whipping cream
- Half a teaspoon of coarse kosher salt or sea salt
- In a medium saucepan, heat the one cup of granulated sugar until it melts. Once it melts, remove from the heat and add the butter while whisking. Be careful it can get very bubbly! Add in the half cup of heavy cream and continue whisking. Replace it on medium low heat until it starts bubbling then remove. Allow to cool completely at room temperature.
- In a deep bowl, pour the one cup of whipping cream and beat with an electric hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add the icing sugar gradually while mixing, until the cream thickens further.
- Melt the chocolate either in a water bath by placing it in a small saucepan that is placed above a larger saucepan with simmering water in it, or you can microwave it in a bowl for 10 seconds. If it needs more melting, you can microwave it for another five seconds until it melts.
- Let the chocolate cool slightly, then fold it into the whipping cream mixture.
- In a plastic or metal container that has a cover, ladle one layer of the chocolate and cream mixture, drizzle some salted caramel on top, and keep repeating until you finish all the chocolate cream mixture, but only use about half the salted caramel. Leftover salted caramel can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several weeks.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight. Serve on top of brownies, or in a waffle cone, or in a bowl topped with chocolate chips and extra caramel sauce. Enjoy!
Have you ever tried making ice-cream at home without an ice-cream maker? How did it go? What are your favourite flavours? Let me know in the comments!
© 2019, L.E.. All rights reserved.