This pumpkin rice pudding is a great seasonal recipe for fall. Combining pumpkin pie filling with spices, rice and milk, it’s perfect comfort food for when the weather starts to get cold!
The online recipe world has been full of pumpkin recipes lately. Mostly, they’re pumpkin pies or cakes. I love cake as much as anyone, but sometimes I’m too lazy to bake and I want something that requires minimal effort. I also wanted to continue exploring the potential of my Instant Pot in making various desserts and recipes.
In this recipe, I used Arborio rice which is the same rice you use for risotto or paella. However, it’s tricky using Arborio rice in the Instant Pot. After many attempts in which the Instant Pot gave me a burn error message, I finally hacked this recipe. It was worth it, though. This pumpkin rice pudding is absolutely delicious. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can definitely make it on the stovetop. It just needs some patience and lots of stirring.
- One cup uncooked Arborio rice
- Two cups low-fat milk
- Two cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin pie filling or homemade pumpkin puree.
- A quarter teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom.
- One teaspoon vanilla extract
- A quarter cup each of dried sour cherries and raisins.
- Half a cup of lightly toasted walnuts.
- Half a cup of dark maple syrup.
- Heavy cream or half-and-half to serve (optional)
- Heat a small frying pan and add the walnuts to it and lightly toast them for about five minutes. Don’t add any oil or water and make sure to monitor them closely to avoid burning.
- Place all the ingredients except for the toasted walnuts in the Instant Pot
- Select the sauté setting and cook on low heat while stirring constantly for about five minutes. If necessary, add more water.
- Change the setting to the rice setting and cook on low pressure for another 10 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then release the remaining pressure using the quick release button.
- Serve warm topped with walnuts, extra maple syrup and cream. Enjoy! You can reheat the leftovers on the stovetop if necessary.
For more rice pudding recipes, check out:
© 2019, L.E.. All rights reserved.